Monday, January 30, 2017

Reading Notes: Ramayana, Part C

Image result for hanuman
Hanuman Meditating (Flickr)

The story of how Rama and Lakshmana meet Hanuman is definitely on my favorites list. I remember hearing different variations of this story growing up and the detail in the R.K. Narayan version is definitely very good. Without a doubt, Hanuman is one of my favorite Hindu Gods, both in the Ramayana and in general. He is known as the God of strength and courage, which I'd say is pretty applicable to many situations. However, I also think that his stories and service to both Rama and Sugreeva work well with his title as God of courage. He is completely devoted and becomes a disciple of Rama, promising to help him on his journey to rescue Sita. I know that when I was a child and would get scared of the dark or a thunder storm, my mom or dad would tell me a Hanuman story and it would give me courage again. In that way, I think reading about Hanuman is interesting because it gives me perspective on his pure devotion to Rama but also how he came to be known as the God of courage.

Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, Ramayana, Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment