Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: Narayan's Ramayana, Part A

Image result for vishwamitra
Rama and Lakshmana learning from Sage Vishwamitra (Wikipedia Commons)


I grew up hearing the stories of the Ramayana and reading comic books about it, however, this is my first time reading the actual story for myself. The descriptions that R.K. Narayan uses are great, but I think my favorite part so far is the narration of the story itself. I thoroughly enjoy reading it.

I enjoyed reading the difference of opinion between King Dasaratha and Sage Viswamithra. It was interesting to see how although Viswamithra renounced his crown, he still knew the ways of the court and knew how to sway King Dasaratha's opinion. When the King decided to send Rama and Lakshmana with Viswamithra, I think it accurately depicts the relationship between Rama and Lakshmana. Their brotherhood is honestly quite remarkable and admirable.

When they all go on their journey, it was interesting to see the carnage that Thataka left before hearing about her demonic ways. As a child, I remember hearing the story about Thataka and reading it right now reminded me of when I listened to the story. Also, while I remember always knowing that Viswamithra was a teacher to both Rama and Lakshmana, I didn't realize until reading the story how they became his students. It is incredible to see how Rama and Lakshmana are accompanying Viswamithra on his journey but through it, they are learning so much. Which shows that while Viswamithra portrayed his reasoning to take the two brothers on the journey one way to their father, he had different intentions all together.

However, I think one of the stories I heard most was that of Rama and Sita. Narayan did a really god job of describing the details leading up to when Rama strikes the bow and marries Sita, but I think it would be interesting to have been a member of the audience at that time and see everything unfold. When Rama and Lakshmana return to the kingdom and the drama of Kaikeyi unfolds, I think that is where the real story begins. 

Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, Ramayana, Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment