Thursday, April 6, 2017

Week 11 Story Planning: The Three Friends

Image result for three friends

I definitely grew up hearing the story of Ganesha and Kartikeya racing all the time. While, as a child, the biggest thing that I got from that story was that parents are so vastly important, I do believe that the moral of the story is that the world can be viewed in a number of different perspectives. The way it is explained, however, makes a lot of sense. Some people view the world in a purely subjective, emotional, and intuitive fashion. Others view the world in an objective, rational, and logical way. However, I think that one of the strongest ways to view the world is by incorporating both elements to really gain an understanding of different perspectives. I think a great story for this would be to create a situation: a college decision, relationship, coping with a tragedy, etc. and then develop a story from two different perspectives and how each person would handle the situation. Specifically, I was thinking of a story in which three friends are attempting to confront a problem. One of the friends is very logical and thinks through things in an objective and rational way. One of the other friends is very subjective, emotional and intuitive in their thinking. Finally, the last friend is logical yet intuitive and objective, with a tinge of emotion when thinking. I think this would be an interesting story to write because it would require me to think out of the box. While I may think in one fashion, my perception of how another thinks would be different. 

I think these videos do a great job of describing some of the Indian stories in a way that everyone can understand them. In that way, DP discusses the stories and how Hindus view the world told through the lens of these stories. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't checked out this video series yet, but based on the story you talked about here, I should definitely give it a shot. It's really clever of you to approach the story looking for the right plot scenario to bring out the characterization you're looking for, and it looks like it'll pay off with a strong story. Looking forward to seeing what comes of it. It's also really cool that you grew up hearing about this story, so that you can look back now and see how your perspective (on a story about perspective) has changed with age. Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your story idea. I have not seen the video series but I will be sure to check it out. I like the picture that you added. I also like the Northern Lights. I hope that I am able to see them one day. I also like how you want to discuss these stories through a lens of how they view these stories not how we do. I look forward to reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete