Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Reading Notes: Kumbhakarna

Image result for sleep
Sleeping Moon (Wikipedia Commons)

I think after eating and traveling, my next favorite thing in the world is sleeping. So, I connect with Kumbhakarna and his natural inclination to want to sleep (even though he is rakshasa, Ravana's brother, and eats people) due to the boon that he was granted. In fact, from the time I was a child to this day, my family calls me Kumbhakarni, or a female version of Kumbhakarna, because I like to sleep a lot. However, that's about the only similarity I have with the beast. Reading about Kumbhakarna is interesting because he is depicted to be a character of good traits and a generally nice person (rakshasa?) until you read about his tendency to kill and eat people. It's honestly such a stark contrast. Reading the Amar Chitra Katha and the Wikipedia page makes me wonder what a Kumbhakarna dream would be like, since he sleeps for months on end. I think it would be interesting to write a story about that since it would be a very long and drawn out sleep. 

Bibliography: 


No comments:

Post a Comment