Friday, February 17, 2017

Wikipedia Trails: From the Orlov Diamond to the Catherine Palace


I was looking through the class Twitter feed and came across the Orlov diamond, so, I decided to Google it. I found out that this diamond was originally from Andhra Pradesh, India, and it is now a part of the Kremlin in Russia. Due to the fact that I love traveling, I clicked on the hyperlink for St. Petersburg so I could learn a little about the city. According to the Wikipedia page, St. Petersburg is the second largest city in Russia, after Moscow, and was once the capital of imperial Russia. Scrolling through the page, the architecture in St. Petersburg is gorgeous. Naturally, during this process, I started reading about the Winter Palace. I honestly think it would be so cool to live in a palace. There is so much history and culture within the walls and it would be amazing to live within it. As I read about the Winter Palace a little bit, I clicked on the link for the Alexander Palace. This palace was the place that the Romanovs were under house arrest in the early 1900s during World War I, before they were overthrown. Finally, the last link that I went to was the Catherine Palace. This palace happens to be near the Alexander and the pictures from the Wikipedia show it to be just as beautiful. The outside is a light blue and the inside of the palace looks exceptional. I could keep going on the palaces, but I think this is a good stopping place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment