Monday, May 1, 2017

Reading Notes: Ancestors of Rama

Image result for crown
Crown (Wikipedia)

Reading the stories about Rama's ancestors was quite interesting. Considering the fact that Rama himself was a king, so his ancestors were obviously royalty was a thought that crossed my mind while reading this story. I think a common theme when thinking of royalty is the fact that there is usually some element of violence, either a play for the highest position, revenge, or some sort of war. No matter the culture, story, country, etc. I seriously think that royalty will always be perceived in the same light. I think the other interesting part was at the end with Indumati's swayamvara. Not only is it semi-foreshadowing to Rama and Sita, but I also think it's a parallel with the beginning of the Mahabaratha. This comic gave readers a lot of background to the characters of the Ramayana, which is something that is inherent to the beginning of the Mahabaratha. I know when I first started reading the Mahabaratha, I had to draw out a family tree on a dry erase board so that I could better visualize the familial relations. While Rama's ancestors are not quite as confusing, I still thought that this Amar Chitra Katha was really fun to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment